1 clean or orderly; "her neat dress"; "a neat room"
2 showing care in execution; "neat homework"; "neat handwriting"
3 free from what is tawdry or unbecoming; "a neat style"; "a neat set of rules"; "she hated to have her neat plans upset" [syn: refined, tasteful]
4 free from clumsiness; precisely or deftly executed; "he landed a clean left on his opponent's cheek"; "a clean throw"; "the neat exactness of the surgeon's knife" [syn: clean]
5 very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing" [syn: bang-up, bully, corking, cracking, dandy, great, groovy, keen, nifty, not bad(p), peachy, slap-up, swell, smashing]
- Rhymes: -iːt
Etymology 1etyl ang neat. Cognate with Dutch noot, dialectal German Noß, Swiss German Nooss, Swedish nöt.
- Clean, tidy; free from dirt or impurities.
- Free from contaminants; unadulterated, undiluted.
- I like my whisky neat.
- (Chemistry) Conditions with a liquid reagent or gas performed
with no standard solvent or cosolvent
- The Arbuzov reaction is performed by adding the bromide to the
- The molecular beam was neat acetylene.
- The Arbuzov reaction is performed by adding the bromide to the phosphite, neat.
- With all deductions or allowances made; net.
- Having a simple elegance or style; clean, trim, tidy, tasteful.
- The front room was neat and carefully arranged for the guests.
- Well-executed or delivered; clever, skilful, precise.
- Having the two protagonists meet in the last act was a particularly neat touch.
- Good, excellent, desirable.
- Hey, neat convertible, man.
EtymologyCognate with Old Frisian nāt, Old Saxon nōt (Dutch noot), Old High German nōz (dialectal German Nos), Old Norse naut.
- English: neat
NEAT may stand for:
- Near Earth Asteroid Tracking
- NeuroEvolution of Augmenting Topologies
- NEw Alpine Transversal (Neue Eisenbahn-Alpentransversale)
- New England Actor's Theater
- Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis
- Non-exercise associated thermogenesis
- New Enhanced AT
- Network of Educator Astronaut Teachers
- National Exchange for Automated Trading(NSE in India adopted this for trading in its exchange)
Neat may also mean:
neat in German: NEAT (Begriffsklärung)
neat in Japanese: ニート (曖昧さ回避)
neat in Slovenian: NEAT
Attic, Ciceronian, Daedalian, OK, Spartan, absolute, ace-high, adept, adroit, all ataunto, anal, apt, artistic, ascetic, ataunt, austere, authoritative, bad, bald, bang-up, bare, bonzer, boss, bravura, braw, brilliant, bully, bungup and bilge-free, but good, calligraphic, candid, capital, chaste, chic, chipper, clarified, classic, classy, clean, clean-cut, clear, clever, clothes-conscious, comely, common, commonplace, cool, coordinated, copperplate, corking, cosmopolitan, crack, crackerjack, cunning, cute, daedal, dandy, dapper, dashing, deft, delicious, dexterous, dextrous, dinky, diplomatic, direct, distilled, dressed to advantage, dressed to kill, dry, ducky, dull, easy, efficient, elegant, excellent, exceptional, expert, exquisite, fab, fancy, fastidious, fine, fine and dandy, finished, first-class, frank, gear, genteel, good, goodish, graceful, gracile, grand, great, groovy, handy, heavy, homely, homespun, hot, hunky-dory, ingenious, jam-up, jaunty, just dandy, keen, lean, limpid, lucid, magisterial, marvy, masterful, masterly, matter-of-fact, mean, naked, natty, natural, nifty, no mean, nobby, okay, on the rocks, open, orderly, organized, out of sight, peachy, peachy-keen, pellucid, perspicuous, plain, plain-speaking, plain-spoken, polished, politic, posh, precise, prim, professional, proficient, prosaic, prosing, prosy, pure, purified, quick, quite some, ready, recherche, rectified, refined, regular, resourceful, restrained, ripping, ritzy, round, rum, rustic, scrumptious, severe, shapely, sharp, sheer, shipshape, simple, simple-speaking, skillful, slap-up, sleek, slick, smart, smashing, smug, snazzy, snug, sober, soigne, soignee, solid, some, something else, sophisticated, spare, spick and span, spiffing, spiffy, splendid, spruce, stark, statesmanlike, straight, straightforward, stunning, style-conscious, stylish, super, swank, swanky, swell, systematic, tactful, tasteful, taut, terse, the compleat, the complete, tidy, tight, top-hole, top-notch, topping, tough, tricksy, trig, trim, unadorned, unadulterated, unaffected, unalloyed, unblended, uncluttered, uncombined, uncomplicated, uncompounded, uncorrupted, uncut, undiluted, unembellished, unfortified, unimaginative, unlabored, unleavened, unmingled, unmixed, unornamented, unpoetical, unsophisticated, untinged, unvarnished, virtuoso, well-cared-for, well-done, well-dressed, well-favored, well-formed, well-groomed, well-made, well-ordered, well-proportioned, well-shaped, wizard, wonderful, workmanlike